Exploration undertaken by Black Rose CC members...
Whilst the Black Rose primarily undertakes sporting caving trips we do indulge in some exploration from time to time.
If anyone wishes to help with any of our digging projects, either supplying equipment or helping out (digging or moral support) then please get in touch with us. Willing volunteers are always needed and won't be turned away!
Conservation is occasionally undertaken too and again, volunteers always welcomed.
As of November 2010 this page is undergoing a rewrite and will be updated as and when time allows, this includes obtaining accurate Grid-Refs, lengths (surveys) of various caves.
To provide a brief overview some details of our digging activities have been included below:
- Pointless Pot : active dig about 3-4m deep
- Lower Arch Cave : the long term sandy flood prone dig, semi-active when time and energy levels allow!
- Storrs Cave : we have looked at a couple of potential dig sites and more work will be undertaken in due course
- Wood Wizard Cave : not been dug for a few years but plans are afoot to investigate this one again
- Digger Dog Hole : no longer being dug, may repay a final look
- Lancaster Hole : bottom of Bridge Hall we dug open a connection to the Graveyard, we are unsure if this was ever completed before us (if you are aware of anyone having done this, please let us know)- we only know of a few people ever having passed through this way (the slope is very mobile and liable to be blocked!)
- Sting Hole : Small hole dropped to sticky mud slope and down in the floor was a small draughting hole. Total passage was about 6m. Presently lost and location unknown!
- Hopping Henry Hole : ~2m deep small stream sink, shakehole sides slumped slighty, way on possibly too narrow
- Other sites : numerous other holes have been examined, dug and dismissed. The "Other" page provides very brief details of some of these digs.